Updated August 29 at 8:45pm
ONroute has re-opened the Cambridge North plaza and washroom facilities after a temporary closure to complete a thorough sanitization of the facility following confirmation of a positive case of COVID-19. All 23 plazas are open providing 24/7 access to washrooms, fuel, and food/beverage via take-out, grab and go, and drive-thru services.
Today, ONroute has confirmed that one employee at its Cambridge North plaza has 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Out of extreme precaution, ONroute has temporarily closed our Cambridge North plaza while we complete a thorough cleaning and sanitization of the facility.
ONroute is considered an essential business in accordance with the Government of Ontario’s list of designated essential workplaces revised on January 12, 2021. As such, our other 22 travel plazas REMAIN OPEN to provide 24/7 access to washrooms, fuel and food/beverage via take-out, grab and go, and drive-through services.
We also continue with our numerous precautionary measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 in each of our travel plazas, which include:
• Enhanced existing cleaning and sanitation measures
• Increased frequency of our cleaning and disinfecting routines
• Re-trained and continually re-emphasizing proper hand-washing protocols with our team members
• Encouraging contactless transactions via credit and debit where possible
• Installed plexi-glass shields at our point-of-sale systems
• Providing gloves for employee use in serving customers
• Providing masks for employee use
• Increased signage to ensure appropriate social distancing for the public in our plazas
• Implemented new queue protocols to increase distance from counter staff
• Temporarily removed our children’s play areas
• Replaced all plastic trays with only take-out bags
• Moved all cream/sugar stations behind the counter
We continue to advise all employees who feel unwell to stay home and require those who have traveled recently to self-isolate at home for 14 days following their return to Canada, consistent with advice from local and national health authorities. ONroute has also waived any requirement to produce a doctor’s note during this time and we are actively working with our employees to monitor their well-being, support them during time away from work, and assist in managing their return when appropriate to do so.
We also ask all customers who feel unwell to stay home and ask those, including Canadians and permanent residents, who have returned from international travel recently, regardless of location, duration or reason, to self-isolate at home for 14 days before visiting us again. The exception being cross-border truck drivers and other essential service workers who are not required to self-isolate. For those individuals exempted, we continue to ask that you practice “social-distancing” and keep 2 metres (6 feet) apart from others while in our plaza. Read the full ONroute COVID-19 Safety Plan.
ONroute proudly supports the essential services provided by our trucking and supply chain sectors, and supports all those who must travel across Ontario during this time. We take the health and safety of our customers and employees very seriously. We continue to monitor for updates from the Government of Ontario and the World Health Organization and will continue to assess our practices and procedures in light of new recommendations.
We will provide an update on our website and via our social media channels once the Cambridge North plaza has been re-opened. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your understanding and for making ONroute a part of your journey.
Chief Executive Officer