Who is ONroute?
Each of the gas bars operated at the ONroute travel centres are operated by independent retailers. As independent businesses, these retailers are responsible under applicable laws for adopting their own privacy policies to protect your personal information.
What is personal information?
When do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information about you to deliver the products and services you request, to promote products and services that we believe you may be interested in, and to help improve your experience at our travel centres.
We collect personal information from you both at our travel centres and online. We collet personal information when you:
• Purchase goods or services from us;
• Request customer service or contact us;
• Enroll or participate in, or conduct any transaction under, a loyalty or rewards program offered by us or one of our brand partners;
• Participate in a contest, sweepstake, promotion or survey conducted by us or on behalf of one of our brand partners;
• Visit our Website or use free Wi-Fi services at our travel centres;
• Engage with us on social media; and
• Apply for employment with us.
We typically collect personal information directly from you or through our interaction with you. However, we sometimes may obtain personal information about you from other sources. For example, we may collect personal information from third parties, such as: in connection with your use of a reward or loyalty program offered by us or one of our brand partners or other service providers; from an insurance provider or claims adjuster who manages the resolution of claims that may occur at our travel centres; and from government agencies and tribunals in connection with any complaints that may be brought.
In order to maintain the safety and security of our travel centres, certain areas of our travel centres use video surveillance. The information on our video surveillance systems that record your image are typically kept for a short period of time before they get overwritten with new information. They are not shared with third parties unless required in connection with an incident at one of our travel service centre locations.
Use of automatic data collection technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our website (www.onroute.ca) (the “Website”), we may use automatic data collection technologies, such as web beacons and cookies, to collect technical information about your visit to our Website, browsing actions and patterns.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your device when you visit our Website. Cookies may automatically collect information about you, such as an identifier assigned to your device, your Internet Protocol address (IP address), time spent on our Website, web pages or websites visited and browsing habits. We use this information to help understand Website activity and improve our website. You may be able to use your browser settings to block cookies or to notify you before a cookie is set. If you block cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Website.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about your use of the Website, such as the features used and time spent on the Website, to help us better understand our users and improve our Website. You may learn more about the data practices of Google Analytics here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en-GB.
We also use certain Google Advertiser features including Demographics and Interest Reporting, Remarketing, and Google Display Network Impression Reporting. These features use third-party cookies and other tracking mechanisms and allow us to market our products to you through advertisements on other websites based on your past visits to our Website. You can opt out of these Google features in your ad settings: http://www.google.com/settings/ads/.
We use targeted advertising features provided by Facebook and Twitter. You can control targeted advertising on Facebook and Twitter through your privacy settings on these platforms. You may also be able to opt-out of targeted advertising on these platforms and other websites through the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s Your Ad Choices opt-out tool here: https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools.
Why do we collect personal information?
We use your personal information to offer and provide our products and services and to manage, maintain, and develop our operations. In particular, we collect personal information in order to:
- To fulfill your requests for products and services at our travel centres and communicate with you about these offerings;
- Protect the security and integrity of our Website, our Wi-Fi service, and our assets and travel centre locations;
- Administer surveys, sweepstakes, contests and promotions either directly or with our brand partners or service providers;
- Conduct analysis and evaluations to understand usage and trends to improve our Website, services, communications and operations;
- To understand your needs and preferences so that we can serve you with advertising that is tailored to your inferred interests;
- To interact with you on social media;
- Enable us to comply with applicable laws or regulatory processes and as otherwise permitted or required by law; and
- Any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
To accomplish these purposes, we may combine personal and other information we collect, including information from third parties.
When do we disclose your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed:
- To third party advertising networks and advertisers to serve you with tailored advertising online;
- As permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- To comply with valid legal processes such as search warrants or court orders;
- During emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons;
- In connection with a prospective or completed business transaction involving all or part of ONroute, whether by way of asset sale, stock sale or reorganization; and
- For any additional purposes for which we have obtained your consent to disclose your personal information.
Consent to treatment of personal information
We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your consent or as otherwise permitted or required by law. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent may be implied, deemed or express. We may collect, use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required to do so by applicable law or regulatory requirements.
Security and retention
ONroute has implemented reasonable physical, organizational and technological security measures to safeguard the personal information in our custody or control. These include safeguards to protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification. Notwithstanding these safeguards, please be aware that no security measures can offer absolute security and it is possible that your personal information may be accessed or disclosed without authorization.
Updates to your personal information
We want to keep your personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. We rely on you to let us know if your address, telephone number or other information changes, so that we may provide you with the best possible service. Paragraph
Access to your personal information
You can ask to access or correct the personal information that we have received from or possess about you. If you want to request access to or correction of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Office. Please note that any such communication must be in writing.
When requesting access to or correction of your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access or correct, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you.
Please note that there are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, or make correction, we will endeavour to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal restrictions.
Questions or concerns?
ONroute Travel Centres
5945 Airport Road, Suite 190
Mississauga, Ontario L4V 1R9
Attention: General Counsel
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may be entitled to make a written submission to the Privacy Commissioner.
Changes to this policy and application
Effective Date: March 3, 2020